20 Things I Love To Do
1. I love to lie in bed and stare at my raspberry pink wall. It’s Benjamin Moore’s Razzle Dazzle. I stare and think and stare and think.
2. I love to lie in bed and read two things at once. Right now I’m reading Living, Etc. (my favorite interiors magazine) and Thoreau’s Walden.
3. I love to lie in bed or stand at the bus stop and watch the sun rise.
4. I love to stare at the sky as the sun sets and watch it darken through all its various shades of blue.
5. I love to stop and stare at the constellation Orion when it’s not a cloudy night and it appears about halfway down Sligo Avenue about five houses from my building.
6. I love to wear black tights. They make me feel hugged and safe.
7. I love to read. But I do not love to write. Reading takes me away. Writing drops me right into the thick of things.
8. I love to binge-watch TV series on Netflix and Amazon.
9. I love to watch my favorite episodes of television shows over and over again. Like “Dinosaurs on a Spaceship” from Doctor Who and also the Donna wedding episode. And the “Life Born in Fire” episode of Inspector Lewis, which I like cause Hathaway has a love interest.
10. I love to watch old British sitcoms (As Time Goes By and Keeping Up Appearances) and shows like Rosemary and Thyme.
11. I love to watch Independence Day and Dirty Dancing and say all the dialogue out loud.
12. I love to walk from one neighborhood of Manhattan to another and then another somewhat aimlessly after having a really good meal.
13. I love to make my coffee each morning in the french press and add cinnamon or nutmeg or Angostura bitters. And always half-and-half. And sometimes whipped cream if there are leftovers from a dessert.
14. I love to follow recipes, especially if I’ve invited someone over for dinner and I’ve never made the recipe before. It feels like an adventure.
15. I love to say “Well, we can always order pizza if the recipe doesn’t turn out” when I make a new recipe and have invited people over because it makes me feel like a grown-up who can laugh about disasters.
16. I love to make my sister laugh.
17. I love to follow celebrities on Twitter and to find out that they’re funny or smart or goofy or all of the above.
18. I love to curl up on the couch before the sun comes up with a cup of coffee and watch foreign films, usually in Spanish or sometimes French.
19. I love to order food and have it delivered because we were never allowed to do that as kids and it makes me feel like a grown-up who can now do forbidden things.
20. I love to make lists.